Friday, February 15, 2013

Willingness


It has been 12 months with about 14 months to go, just about at the half way point. I have adapted to my environment where honestly couldn’t tell sometimes what would be considered normal American behaviors. I think certain kaf-tans (local celebration attire, a mid-thigh shirt with intricate embroidery)  would be quite nice back in America but from what I am told it would not fly.

Adaptation is my body’s natural response to survival and further more thriving in this environment, what 12 months ago was forgotten. Although, I don’t think that I am that different from the general society. I think most of you could do this. Playing to the same cord, just like I think any physically able bodied person can complete a marathon. The most important ingredient being- willingness.

Willingness is to train 3 times a week for 6 months

Willingness is to leave everything you know and move to a new continent.

Willingness is to cut certain foods out of your diet so you have the energy to run 20 miles a week.

Willingness to wear someone else shoes for a change or in the case of Africa, take your shoes off completely.

         To be completely honest I am no different than any of you because all humans can adapt. I just might be a tiny bit more willing at times. This is where you might compare yourself to those of us in the Peace Corps, but I challenge you to think differently. Because willingness isn’t moving to Africa, it is accepting a challenge of something that by most standards is considered difficult. Willingness isn’t succeeding but the effort put forth in the attempts to succeed. “To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded (Ralph Waldo Emerson).” So go work with children or plant a garden. But if that child doesn’t  smile or the plants die. “Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”(Mary Anne Radmacher) This is how I get through my days. What great is that it doesn’t only work in Africa, it works everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment