Sunday, May 5, 2013

Project Trails and Tribulations


I finished my project. Does that mean my work is done in the PC? When I have finished my 2 years of good deeds, do I need to do any more in my life time? Of course not! Who is to say when the work is done? I guess that is for me to decide. So far I have come to the conclusion the answer is never, the work is never done. You just have to be content that you did satisfactory work and time is the true indicator of success.

I said  I finished my first PC project. It’s a real badge of merit in the PC community but not as satisfying as I expected it to feel. It is hard to pat yourself on the back when poverty and malnutrition are the same issues as before. Some volunteers say murals are some of the most satisfying projects because it paint on the wall and you see the final results, where as my health school may take years for impact to occur. The lessons learned and the knowledge handed down to children and family members in order for it to make a lasting impact. America is such a results driven culture. I am still an American even though now I may be 1/32 African, and I would like to see results. But that is one of the many daily lessons I learn here- patience and faith. So I move to my next endeavor- with those lessons in mind. Myself and 2 other volunteers are putting on an HIV/AIDS football tournament. Will we cure AIDS? No but we sure as hell are going to educate some football players and start a conversation about prevention.

Wait…I still haven’t told you how my project went….

From my point of view, I would rate it as semi-successful (success being signs of sanitation and nutritional improvement). My counterparts and I taught 7 topics over a 4 month period. We encouraged involvement through a competition, which they gain points and get prizes. My counterpart and I recently visited every woman to evaluate their learning and application of knowledge.

The first house we visited my counterpart ingeniously asked the children how and when to wash their hands. Upon asking a 7 year old girl demonstrated the technique perfectly as we did in class. Washing the front of her hand, then the backs and under her nails in the rhythmic sing-songy way we practiced dozens of times in class. My heart dropped, I had to look away to maintain face. Do you know what that means; the mom actually went home and taught her children about hand washing. All talk before about success and results, this child was a real glimpse into the reality of it working. We aren’t totally there until there is a wide spread practice but there is a dam good start. After we check the 80 some households, we found several more children just like the 7 year old girl. It wasn’t enough so im going to put some paint on the walls (aka murals) to remind them to wash their hands and so much more.

We celebrated their accomplishments of the competition with a big party. Decked out with a sound system and a tent, this also included chicken dinner. All the women received prizes of some form. Those with the highest points got prizes starting at 200D ($7) down to the lowest points. Getting 50D ($1.50) prizes. We celebrated and ate a nutritious meal of veggies, meat, and grains.

I put this project in the win column. I keep my chin up as best as I can and I move forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment