Sunday, January 12, 2014

Health Murals

My grandmother was an artist but I really had no gag of my own ability because honestly, the last time I painted a picture was kindergarten.  Despite my lack of all things color and in light of my heritage, I figured what the hell.

 Sooooo…. I painted 6, 2 by 2 meter murals in my village.  Each outlining a topic we cover in the health school, with a little help of course from the beautiful and talented Sarah S.  My intentions were that these murals would be a daily reminder of living a healthier life.

  In two weeks time, my counterpart and I will walk 90 women around the village and discuss the morals.  I hope to refresh their memories and help them better understand the murals.  The use of pictures and symbols is not a common practice, so it is best to make sure they understand the messages that are being displayed.  You have to remember that nearly all of the women have never gone to school and learning through imagery is a learned skill.

I was satisfied with my art work as a first time muralist and I hope the very least that the color will add some beauty to the community. 


When I’m long gone the memory of my legacy will still be painted on the walls of a small village in Africa. A little color is a nice mark to leave.


Work Environment

ORS

Exclusive Breastfeeding

10 Steps to Hand Washing

Dirty and Clean Compound

Bed Net

Nutrition 

No comments:

Post a Comment