Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Let it Begin


The first post in Africa! I have been here for about a month and if this month is any indication of what the rest of the 26 months will be like – it will be an amazing journey!

I have to first apologize for taking so long to write this first post.  You can say part of my process is full immersion; I found it difficult to pull myself away from culture and relationship building to write a post. I also felt like there was not much to tell, other than my struggle with language and that it is damn hot.  But now . . . my language skills are growing, I have been living at a home stay for 2 weeks and I have been laughed at more than I would like to say.  

The arrival to Africa started with 65 Americans stumbling off a plane at the break of dawn.  After 8 hours we were all well acquainted and very tired.  With no departure tunnel, we stepped off onto a misty tarmac with a strong odder of fish.  With a big smile on my face I headed towards customs, already sweating, I thought to myself ‘Welcome to Fucking Africa! (Sorry for the profanity but I did say this was going to be the raw story [I will try not to do it again but it was just too good to leave out])

We were then stationed in Theis (~70 Km east of Dakar) for the next 2 weeks at a Peace Corps training center.  At the center we hit the ground running with about 6 hours of technical training, cultural training and language every day.   I was reminded each session how humbling it was to be selected to work with some of the most energetic knowledgeable and open minded staff and volunteers alike.  I sit in the classroom, garden, disco hut or wherever we may have a class and just try to absorb the energy in the room (…hut or whichever location). I am truly honored and lucky to have this opportunity.

I now understand what everyone meant when they said this will be one of the most challenging things I will ever do.  Try learning a new language in foreign culture in 90 degree weather.  At the same time, start a new diet and take away all common comforts you are used to.  And to top it all off you are dyslexic!  At that point you will understand about 5% what I am going through.  Here is the kicker, I love it.   It’s miserable, hard and uncomfortable but I couldn’t feel more alive at this moment then Right Now!

One story that sticks out is about my little Senegalese brother, Omar.  I had a particularly rough day with language and I was on the verge of having my first real break down.  I was sitting on my bed and he came in my room like he always does with no understanding of my personal space (in the American sense).   He just started cleaning but let me help understand, there are very defined gender lines and cleaning is not a male job, let alone a little boy.  Omar has been the one who has really taken care of me.  He has the hand gestures for eat, sleep and shower down.  At that moment, when I was at a low point, he did it again – he took care of me.

While a lot is growing/changing around me and inside me, my thoughts and prayers are with all of you on a daily bases. I hope you are all health and happy.

Jaama Rek – Peace only

3 comments:

  1. Justin,

    It's refreshing to hear your of your initial encounters and impressions. Peace Corps and life in general always relays the message that we are all in the same boat but taking different routes. Your route is unique as is mine, and I feel so privileged to have this opportunity for the next 2 years of my life and I'm sure you do as well. KEEP ME POSTED FOOL! I didn't even realize you had left a month ago until just now! I know I don't need to worry about you, nonetheless, all the best Justin. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin!!!! Your first post from Africa - this is so exciting! In the words of James : " the FOOL is ALIVEEEEE!!" ( don't tell him I posted that on his behalf, ha ha) I am so glad you are experiencing and learning things we will never get a chance to. Embrace everything and remember to be strong! After all, you ARE Justin Wellins :) Post a pic or two while you're there - we miss your handsome face! Anyways, be safe and take care of yourself! Sending some love from Boston <3
    - Soohoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow J - you really opened it up for a lot of good jokes but I'll save those till I see you. Keep livin' life (as some would say) and let the language come to you, just keep your ears and eyes open.

    FYI. I don't miss you yet as it's only been one month.

    Keep writing and yes, do post pictures.

    Unculturally yours,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete