Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Site Announcement

It has been a great week of technical health information here at the training center in Theis, Senegal.  I wanted to pass some information along to y’ll before I head out to The Gambia and have limited internet access.  But first I wanted to make a couple comments on the recent pictures I have posted.

That was my home stay family from Bayahk.  I had 3 brothers, one older sister and a single mother.  The father had passed away some years ago from unknown causes.  I was there first Peace Corps home stay and it was most defiantly a learning process for us all.  Despite the challenge of language, they accepted me as their own.  I was told on one occasion to put my pants up by my mom and I received several worried phone calls when I was out past dark.

The morning of my departure I had to wake the family up to say good bye at 7 AM. Frazzled from me barging in to say good bye, they all jump to action and grabbed my belongings, not allowing me to carry anything to the bus.  As I approached the PC bus, full volunteers, I had an entourage following me with all my bags and everyone on the bus was either laughing or ooo-ing and aww-ing.  Once we got all my stuff on board, it was time for final good byes but hugging is not a common place thing here in Africa.  Even though I know hugs were not big here, I still gave each one of them a big bear hug so they couldn’t escape the awkward moment.  We finely pulled away and little Omar dragged his feet, looking back 3 times as we drove away in a cloud of dust.  It’s going to be harder and harder to say good bye to the people I meet along the way but can always leave knowing that I have been changed by them and hope that I have made an impact on their lives. You always wish you have more time but I am starting to realize how important it is to make use of the time you already have.

On much much happier news…I just found out WHERE I will be living for the next 2 years!!! I am in the North Bank region in The Gambia YAY!  I will be starting a new village that has had some contact with PCV and is very excited for my arrival.  I have been told that the village is super motivated to do projects and get things started.  My focus will be based in nutrition, pre/post natal care and rehydration.  I cannot give y’ll much information about it yet but don’t you worry…there will be 2 whole years of info to come!

On news of other small achievements, I gave myself my first hair cut and yes I literally did it all myself (accept squaring off the back and cutting off the neck hair Nicole hates so much)!  These small achievements are what I like to think of as the small pieces of the big puzzle that will shape my service as a PC member and my life as a whole.

Jama Rek 

No comments:

Post a Comment