Monday, June 25, 2012

The Start of a Up Slope


The north bank region of volunteers is pretty much a boys club (8 guys and 2 girls).  When the other volunteers heard that they got 3 new boys, a celebration was in order. It was also a much needed time to interact with other volunteers.  I have come to learn, speaking English and being sarcastic is a crucial part of my sanity.  We ate vegetables and meat, a rare thing in village. We drank sprits and acted silly.  As I sat out on the river staring at our bond fire, I realized this was just what I needed.  A time to decompress and discover I am not the only one thinking these crazy thoughts and understand I am exactly where I should be in this experience. And that is how you turn a down slope into an up slope. [Lesson learned: step back, take a breath and spend some time with some close friends]

By the 3rd week at site the things I was seeing, smelling and experiencing were not so foreign to me anymore.  If you remember from the first blog post I talked about really living in a place and talking to the old man when I go to the market?  Well I am living that and it is not just one old man it is everyone I pass on my way to anywhere.  In this small village, in the bush, in this country of Gambia I am more popular the Brad Pitt.  Everyone always knows my where abouts, what I ate for lunch, if I liked it or not, if I danced and even when I am talking a showering and sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment